Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Heady Scent of Heated Game

The aforementioned dove having spent an adequate amount of time in the freezer (I forgot about it), I decided the cool weather of the seventh day of October would make for a lovely time to prepare my quarry.


Having wrapped the little dickens in a fine strip of bacon, and slathering some butter over it, I set the dove in a small skillet on low heat, covered. Some freshly cracked pepper seemed necessary.



The savory scents arising from the lightly sizzling dove served to increase my appetite a thousand-fold. Some thirty to forty minutes later found the de-winged beast on my plate.


The taste, savory and delicious, was comparable to chicken liver; the texture like that of a steak, well done.


Apart from the small, sharp bone which embedded itself ever so painfully in my gums, this was a very tasty morsel.

"Ah, food in the raw! I crave the tangy zest of wild game!"
~That cartoon dog that always wanted to eat those little gophers

5 comments:

  1. Ooooooh, sounds tasty!

    How come you didn't make me any? ;-P

    I once at scorpion you know....

    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come? A 2,000 mile trip would have resulted in cold, untasty dove.

    Is that story one that will be handed down, generation to generation, about how Great-Great-Great-Grandpappy Spencer ate a scorpion?

    Probably along with how you captured a Bigfoot, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes. I will pass down that story with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't understand a word you just said...

    Well, best grab my shotgun. Looks like I've been invaded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NIHAU! NIHAU, MA! Hu zhou man sing chao! Choa chi, la tsun tsan za!

    ReplyDelete